Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Our Short-Lived Strike

9/19/12

Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson always had a place at our dinner table back when I was growing up.  No dinner was complete without some sort of red meat on our plates and Channel 2 News in the background.  One evening, my brother and I were fascinated to hear Bill & Walter's story about some Chicago city workers who were on strike.  We questioned my Dad about what a strike was and why people would do it.  Before my Dad could finish explaining, I could see the wheels turning in my brother's head.  After dinner that night, my brother suggested that he and I should also go on strike.  No more taking the garbage out, no more mowing the lawn, no more chores until we received a raise in our allowance, he argued.  So, I followed the orders of my newly-anointed Union boss, made paper signs, and "picketed" at the end of our driveway.  Once my Dad caught wind of what we were doing, he gave us an ultimatum: "If you're on strike, then you can't go to the White Sox game with our Grandpa."  We soon learned that White Sox pitchers weren't the only people who couldn't throw a good strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment